Convent St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church and School

150 E. Wide Track Dr., Pontiac, Michigan

Photos 

Sept. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

St. Vincent de Paul parish established in 1851 by Bishop Peter Paul LeFevre, once included all of Oakland County and parts of Genesee, Lapeer and Macomb counties. The parish's first house of worship, the Academy Building, was first a private school and later a branch of the University of Michigan. In 1866 the church was moved from North Saginaw Street to Oakland Avenue at Lafayette. The parish grew as increasing numbers of Irish and German Catholic immigrants came to Pontiac to work in industry and farming. The Reverend Fridolin Baumgartner, pastor from 1876 to 1894, organized the fund raising for the construction of the present church. Nearly 5,000 people celebrated as its cornerstone was laid on September 6, 1885.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 9, 1989
Reference number
89000492
NR name
St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church, Convent, and School
Architectural styles
Victorian: Gothic; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - European; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Church school; Church related residence
Current functions
Religious structure; Institutional housing
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1885; 1922; 1926
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • September 25, 2012: New photo from Rattrak

Sources