All Saints' Episcopal Church, Waccamaw

SC 255 .2 mi. N of jct. with SC 46, Pawleys Island, South Carolina

Photo 

All Saints' Episcopal Church, Waccamaw, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

All Saints’ Episcopal Church was one of the most significant Episcopal churches in the South Carolina lowcountry in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Its first congregation was formed in 1739, and the church has been located at this site since then. Four extant historic resources—the historic sanctuary, cemetery, rectory, and chapel—are significant for their association with All Saints’ and for their architectural or artistic characteristics. The sanctuary, built 1916-1917, the fourth to serve this congregation, is significant as an excellent example of Classical Revival style, adapting the design of the church’s nineteenth century sanctuary which burned in 1915. It is a one-story rectangular brick building sheathed in scored stucco. It has an engaged pedimented portico supported by four fluted Greek Doric columns. A Doric frieze, composed of triglyphs, metopes, and guttae, runs under the cornice around the building on three sides. The church has a large center aisle sanctuary with a coved tray ceiling. The church cemetery, established in the 1820s, is significant for the persons buried there, many of who were the leading public figures of antebellum Georgetown County. It is also significant a collection of outstanding gravestone art from ca.1820 to ca.1900. It is surrounded by a pierced brick fence (ca. 1930) with wrought iron gates. The church rectory, built in 1822, is an intact example of a Carolina I-House. The rear façade has been changed several times. The slave chapel at All Saints’ is nominated separately. Listed in the National Register March 13, 1991. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 13, 1991
Reference number
91000232
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery; Church related residence
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery; Church related residence
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Significant years
1916; 1917
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • September 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo

Sources