First Congregational Church

106 S. Bostwick St., Charlotte, Michigan

Photos 

GENERAL VIEW AND EAST (FRONT) ELEVATION

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The First Congregational Church of Vermontville was constructed during the Civil War and dedicated on November 30, 1864. It was built to meet the needs of the Union Colony, a religiously bonded group which had settled in Vermontville in 1837. The Colony was formed in East Poultney, Vermont, and the church is quite similar to various prototypes found in New England. This is especially true in the roof framing, which is of a type in common use in that area in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 26, 1993
Reference number
93000872
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Art; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1872; 1876; 1880

Tags 

19th Century (36,810)
Brick (42,459)
Built 1872 (421)
Built during 1870s (4,888)
Cast iron (375)
Charles H. Marsh (1)
Charlotte, Michigan (3)
Church (5,503)
Eaton County, Michigan (19)
Have Street View (41,471)
Michigan (1,914)
Place of worship (5,863)
Private owner (54,396)
Romanesque (2,714)
Sandstone (4,862)
Stone (26,162)
Victorian (19,696)
W.H. & Bros. Wells (1)

Update Log 

  • June 2, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER
  • July 9, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth

Sources