Kolping Park and Chapel

47440 Sugar Bush Rd., Mount Clemens, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

Father Joseph Wuest established the Detroit chapter of the Catholic Kolping Society in 1926. Wuest inscribed "Honor by means of untiring work," on a plaque for this chapel, which he built in 1932. Constructed of stones and shells sent from Kolping societies, churches and missions worldwide, the Neo-Gothic chapel is reminiscent of European wayside shrines. Father Adolph Kolping founded the society in 1846 to benefit German tradesmen and their families.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1996
Reference number
96001417
Architectural style
Other architectural type; German Wayside Chapel
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History; Entertainment/Recreation; Ethnic Heritage - European; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Outdoor recreation
Current functions
Religious structure; Outdoor recreation
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant years
1926; 1932
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Contributing structures: 2
Contributing sites: 1
Contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • October 14, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 26, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources