First Methodist Episcopal Church

Also known as: Immanuel Lutheran Church, Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Hall
421 S. Farwell St., Eau Claire, Wisconsin

1 of 5 Neo-Gothic Revival buildings built in Eau Claire between 1911 and 1920

Photos 

Overview

The Wisconsin Historical Society reports that all the stained glass was removed except the transom over the main entrance. They further report the original Kimball pipe organ is sill there.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning July 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Designed by the firm of Alban and Fisher from St. Paul, Minnesota, this building is one of five Neo-Gothic Revival buildings constructed in Eau Claire between 1911 and 1920. The church was originally built for the First Methodist Episcopal Church which occupied the building until 1930, when the congregation combined with the Lake Street Methodist church located on the City’s west side. Immanuel Lutheran Church then utilized the building until 1980, at which time they built a new church. The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship then purchased the building and has since held services in the church.

"The Neo-Gothic Revival style influences of the building include the Gothic arch transoms above the windows, the steeply pitched roofs and buttresses, pinnacles and battlements. The original Kimball and Company pipe organ, which was manufactured in Chicago at a cost of $3,000, is still in the church."

City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 18, 1999
Reference number
99000241
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1911

Update Log 

  • July 22, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos

Sources