St. Joseph's Catholic Church

D'Aste Townsite, Moiese, Montana

Photos 

St Joseph's Catholic Church D'Aste MT

Photo taken by David Jones in July 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Essay 

Written by David Jones

The town of D'Aste was platted on the Flathead Reservation in 1910 when the area was opened up to homesteading. St. Joseph's Church was built to serve the settlers of the area. The building was dedicated by Bishop Carroll of the Diocese of Helena in May 1916. The last services were held in the church in 1978 and it is now the only remaining evidence of the town site of D'Aste. The D'Aste Women's Service Group now has oversight of the church.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 18, 1999
Reference number
99000345
Architectural style
American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1916
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • December 2, 2018: Essay added by David Jones
  • December 2, 2018: New photos from David Jones

Sources