Saint Edward's Chapel

Also known as: Michelle Johnsted Residence
1129 Bellevue Ave., Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Chapel that was initiated in 1889 but converted to a private residence in the 1920s

Photos 

Overview Looking West

Photo taken by J.R. Manning July 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Rev. B.F. Cooley of Christ Church, located on South Farwell Street designed and supervised the construction of the chapel that was initiated in 1889. The chapel was intended to be a mission church for Christ Church, Eau Claire’s Episcopal parish, to serve the growing number of parishioners living north of the Eau Claire River. Work stopped on the chapel with Cooley’s departure in 1889 and was not resumed until 1896 when a scaled back design was completed.

"The chapel did not attract the parishioners hoped for and was closed in 1918. Sometime between 1923 and 1926, the chapel was converted into a single-family dwelling. Circa 1982 the interior of the building was remodeled into its current appearance."

City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 7, 2000
Reference number
99001661
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival
Area of significance
Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924

Update Log 

  • July 21, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos

Sources