Cumming Public School-Cumming High School

101 School St., Cumming, Georgia

Photos 

Photo taken by pam phillips in September 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

CUMMING SCHOOL Built 1923 Cumming School, erected in 1923 by J.W. Fleming and Jim Hughes to house students in grades 1 through 11, burned in 1927. The same contractors rebuilt the structure. The school served all grades until 1955, when high school students transferred to a new facility. In 1961, elementary students departed, and in 1974 the remaining pupils left. The building then served as the school system administrative office until 1999, when it was purchased and later restored by the City of Cumming. Historical Society of Forsyth County - 2006

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 18, 2000
Reference number
00000107
NR name
Cumming Public School--Cumming High School
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current functions
Government office; Meeting hall
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1927
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • November 18, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View"

Sources