Erin--Warren Fractional District No. 2 Schoolhouse

Also known as: Halfway Schoolhouse
15500 Nine Mile Rd., Eastpointe, Michigan

Photo 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

This school served children in Erin and Warren Townships from 1872 to 1921. Beginning in 1838, German farmer Christian Gerlach held classes in his home. During the 1840s a log building served as a classroom. In 1850 a red frame school was built. In 1872 the red school was replaced with this structure. Popularly known as Halfway School, it was located in the village of Halfway, midway between Mount Clemens and Detroit. When the school closed in 1921, it was moved to the southeast corner of Nine Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue and used as a warehouse. The East Detroit Historical Society acquired the school in 1984, returning it to within one hundred feet of its original site and restoring its nineteenth century appearance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 30, 2001
Reference number
01000412
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Architecture; Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924
Significant year
1872

Tags 

19th Century (37,868)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1872 (431)
Built during 1870s (5,026)
Eastpointe, Michigan (1)
Have Street View (46,654)
Italianate (5,114)
Macomb County, Michigan (16)
Michigan (1,955)
Moved (2,194)
Owned by local government (11,500)
School (5,177)
Victorian (19,698)

Update Log 

  • October 4, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 26, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources