Wilson District #7 School

Also known as: O'Meara Schoolhouse
1507 270th Ave., Delmar, Iowa

Wood framed, one-room 19th Century school house in need of restoration.

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

It could certainly use a coat of paint! If you are interested in this structure and would like to aid in its restoration, details are available.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

A wood framed structure from the late 19th Century that served the surrounding farm community until into the 1960s. It is on a peninsula of land, surrounded by cultivated fields. That land used to belong to the family, the peninsula is owned by descendents of George O'Meara, who attended the school and wished to restore it before his death. While the structure is badly deteriorated, it is also remarkably solid for a wood structure that has been essentially abandoned for over 40 years. Plans are underway to restore the building.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 2004
Reference number
04001320
Architectural style
Other architectural type; One-Room Schoolhouse
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
ca. 1880
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Tags 

19th Century (36,930)
Built during 1880s (6,285)
Clinton County, Iowa (33)
Delmar, Iowa (3)
Iowa (2,480)
Private owner (54,396)
Sandstone (4,861)
School (4,960)

Update Log 

  • April 28, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated incorrect GPS coordinates and added photos

Sources