Chana School

Also known as: Chana School Museum
201 N. River Rd., Oregon, Illinois

Oddly shaped two-room school house, relocated and restored to be a museum

Photos 

Overview Looking East

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

An oddly shaped, two-room schoolhouse, the Chana School Museum was originally built in 1883, in the village of Chana, Illinois. The Chana School District was eliminated some years ago and it was abandoned as a school sometime in the 1960s. In the later 1990s, a restoration effort began. The school was moved from Chana to its present location in 2002 and restored in 2003.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 2005
Reference number
05001369
Architectural styles
Victorian: Italianate; Other architectural type; Two-Room Schoolhouse
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
School; Meeting hall
Current functions
Museum; Meeting hall
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1893
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Tags 

19th Century (37,587)
Built 1893 (600)
Built during 1890s (7,593)
Illinois (2,616)
Italianate (5,085)
Joel Haymaker (1)
Limestone (8,192)
Moved (2,188)
Ogle County, Illinois (30)
Oregon, Illinois (6)
Private owner (54,396)
School (5,006)
Victorian (19,697)

Update Log 

  • April 22, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Corrected GPS Coords and Added Photos

Sources