Spencerian Business College

Also known as: Wisconsin Telephone-Kilbourn Exchange, Clinton Street Elementary School, Milwaukee Urban League, Dr. Wesley L. Scott Senior Living Community
2800 W Wright St., Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Colonial Revival-styled brick building serving several tenants for over 100 years

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in October 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Spencerian Business College was founded by Robert C. Spencer in 1863 and operated independently in Milwaukee for 111 years; it merged with Concordia University in 1974 and became the Concordia School of Business.

The subject building was designed by noted Milwaukee architect, Alexander Eschweiler, for the Wisconsin Telephone Company to house equipment for the Kilbourn exchange from 1911-1951. In 1951, the owner of the Spencerian Business College moved the school from its downtown location to the former telephone company building.

After the school merged with Concordia, it served as an extension to the Clinton Street Elementary School. From 1982 to 2006, it was the headquarters for the Milwaukee Urban League. In 2006-2007, the building was renovated into housing for the elderly.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 2008
Reference number
07001331
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
College
Current function
Multiple dwelling
Period of significance
1950-1974
Significant year
1951

Update Log 

  • November 18, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos

Sources