Harold Allan Schoolhouse

Also known as: Corner School, District 3 Schoolhouse
15 Rebel Hill Rd., Clifton, Maine

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Criterion A: Education Local Significance

Constructed in 1863 as the District #3 school, the Harold Allan Schoolhouse is the last surviving one-room educational facility in this Penobscot County community. In 1912, as the population of the town decreased and shifted, the school was moved about a quarter mile to its current location, adjacent to Cliffwood Hall (Town Hall) at Clifton Corners. At that time a wood shed and outhouse were added to the side of the building and a new vestibule attached to its facade. The Harold Allan School continued to be utilized by the community through the end of the spring term in 1966. It was added to the National Register for its association with patterns of rural schooling in nineteenth -and twentieth-century Maine.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 2008
Reference number
08000667
NR name
Allan, Harold, Schoolhouse
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant years
1863; 1912

Tags 

19th Century (37,695)
Built 1863 (237)
Built during 1860s (3,746)
Clifton, Maine (2)
Have Street View (44,632)
Maine (1,860)
Mid 19th Century Revival (7,958)
Penobscot County, Maine (118)
Private owner (54,398)
School (5,053)
Stone (26,160)

Update Log 

  • November 16, 2016: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources