Good Samaritan--Waverly Hospital

Abandoned
Also known as: Good Sam Hospital, Waverly Hospital
2204 Hampton St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photos 

Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital, Right Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

During its operation from 1952 to 1973, Good Samaritan--Waverly Hospital served as an alternative institution for black residents in Columbia and was the culmination of a string of local hospitals and clinics built for the African American community. During the Jim Crow era in Columbia, the middle class, professional population of the historically-black Waverly residential district worked to develop for themselves what the city and county refused to provide. The Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital is an example of the alternative spaces African Americans built in the face of discrimination at Columbia’s hospitals. The hospital’s construction represents the result of a historical tradition among Columbia’s black community and philanthropic efforts to establish modern, independent health care facilities. The hospital was the only training facility exclusively for black nurses in Columbia, and was built as a state-of-the-art medical facility. The new facility had a pharmacy, laboratory, X-ray room, staff dining room, two operating rooms, and fifty beds. Unfortunately, Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital was struggling under massive debt. The hospital routinely served as an overflow facility for charity patients from Columbia Hospital and other hospitals in the surrounding counties, but was often forced to absorb the cost as the local governments failed to reimburse the hospital for treatment. As a result, there was no money to maintain the facility or modernize its equipment. Ironically, the biggest challenge to Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital was the Civil Rights Act and the integration of Columbia’s hospital facilities. Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital struggled to attract white patients to keep its eligibility for Medicare funding. In 1972, the integrated Richland Memorial Hospital was constructed, and Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital could not compete. In August of 1973, Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital was forced to close its doors. Listed in the National Register July 28, 2008. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 28, 2008
Reference number
08000738
Architectural style
Modern Movement: Moderne
Areas of significance
Social History; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Health/Medicine; Community Planning and Development
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
School; Hospital
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1975-2000
Significant years
1952; 1973

Update Log 

  • October 14, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photos

Sources