North Hall, University of Wisconsin

University of Wisconsin campus, Madison, Wisconsin

UW's first building, now also part of the Bascom Hill Historic District

Photos 

Overview Looking Northeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Constructed in 1851, this is the first structure built on the campus of the State university which pioneered in extension work, particularly in agricultural programs, and in the involvement of scholars in legislative and regulatory affairs on a non-partisan basis. Known as the "Wisconsin Idea", the univerity's innovative cooperative program stemmed from the concept that an enlightened public would best ensure a progressive America. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 21, 1965

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000021
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
College; Educational related housing
Current function
College
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1851; 1904; 1918

Update Log 

  • September 4, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources