Oberlin College

Also known as: Oberlin Collegiate Institute
Tappan Sq., Oberlin, Ohio

Map 

Description 

Founded in 1833, Oberlin Collegiate Institute developed into a socially and politically influential college during the years immediately preceding the Civil War. Oberlin made the education of Blacks and women a matter of institutional policy. The admittance of four women in 1837 marked the beginning of coeducation on the collegiate level in the United States; free Blacks were admitted on the same basis as whites. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 21, 1965

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000615
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic function
College
Current function
Plaza
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1833; 1860