Peabody College for Teachers

Also known as: George Peabody College for Teachers
21st Ave. S. and Edgehill Ave., Nashville, Tennessee

Map 

Description 

The University of Nashville was the first college to receive aid from the Peabody Fund, which had been established in 1867 by philanthropist George Peabody to help rebuild the South's educational system. In 1875, the university began to function as a state normal school; after 1889, it was known as Peabody Normal College and in 1909 incorporated as the George Peabody College for Teachers. Peabody College moved to its present location in 1914. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 21, 1965

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000723
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
College
Current function
College
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1875; 1919; 1914
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 18
Non-contributing buildings: 4