Gallaudet College Historic District

Florida Ave. and 7th St., NE., Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

Founded in 1864 as the National Deaf Mute College, this has been since its inception the only institution of higher learning in America devoted specifically to the education of the deaf; in 1894, the name was changed to Gallaudet in honor of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (1787-1851), founder of the country's first permanent school for the deaf (1817). The college's campus was planned by the firm of Olmsted, Vaux, & Co., who felt that since the students lacked the ability to hear extra care should be taken so that "the senses of sight and smell are gratified in a most complete and innocent way." -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 21, 1965

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000856
Architectural style
Victorian: Gothic
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
College
Current function
College
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1867; 1870

Sources