Reeve, Tapping, House and Law School

South St., Litchfield, Connecticut

Photo 

Law School

1. Historic American Buildings Survey William Rainey, Photographer FRONT

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Founded in 1784 and in operation until 1833, this was the first proprietary law school in the country. Many of the approximately 1,000 men who attended became prominent lawyers, judges, and politicians. Aaron Burr and John C. Calhoun were among the graduates. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 21, 1965

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000879
Area of significance
Law
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; School
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1750-1799
Significant years
1774; 1823
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • December 1, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett