Wheelock Academy

E of Millerton on U.S. 70, Millerton, Oklahoma

Map 

Description 

The Wheelock Academy was the prototype for tribal school systems established by the Five Civilized Tribes in the Indian Territory. Begun in 1832 as a mission school, it was named for the founder of Dartmouth College. In 1955, the Academy merged with Jones Academy and closed. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 21, 1965

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000949
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Native American; Education
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
School
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1832
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing structures: 2