Egyptian Building

SW corner of E. Marshall and College Sts., Richmond, Virginia

Map 

Description 

Completed in 1845, this was the first building put up especially for the Medical College of Virginia, and remains the oldest medical college building in the South. An exotic edifice, it is considered by many to be the finest Egyptian Revival building in the country. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 11, 1971

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 16, 1969
Reference number
69000321
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Egyptian Revival
Areas of significance
Health/Medicine; Education; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
College
Current function
College
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1845

Sources