Old Cokesbury and Masonic Female College and Conference School

N of Greenwood at jct. of SR 246 and 254, Cokesbury, South Carolina

Historic Female College in Cokesbury, SC

Photos 

Cokesbury College

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Old Cokesbury College building was built in 1854 in the Greek Revival style. It has a bell tower, four square columns rising from ground level to pediment, and a double-door entrance at the second floor level. The Masonic Female College of South Carolina, an effective though brief experiment in education for young women (1853-1874), represented ideas that were rather advanced for the times. This institution is said to have furthered the charm, character and influence of the town. From 1876-1918, Cokesbury Conference School was celebrated for the high caliber of its education—first operated as a school for boys, co-educational from 1882, and a public school from 1918 to 1954, when the property reverted to the Methodist Conference. The village of Cokesbury was laid out in 1824 and is one of South Carolina’s earliest planned communities. As a testament to the community’s emphasis on education, the town was developed for and around the school. The village was initially called Mount Ariel, but in 1834 residents changed the name to Cokesbury in honor of Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury, the first two Methodist bishops in the United States. Listed in the National Register August 25, 1970. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 25, 1970
Reference number
70000589
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Military; Education; Architecture; Religion; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Church school; School
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1824; 1835; 1853
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 10

Update Log 

  • November 20, 2015: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • September 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • November 4, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview", Updated "GPS Coordinates"

Sources