Fox House

Also known as: Classical and Theological Seminary of the Evangelical Luheran Church, Southern Lutheran Seminary, Lexington County Museum
232 Fox St., Lexington, South Carolina

Photo 

Fox House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2021

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Fox House was built for and housed the newly founded Southern Lutheran Seminary, the second oldest organized Lutheran theological school in the United States. The Lutheran Seminary started in 1830 when five young men journeyed to the home of Colonel John Eigleberger near Pomaria for instruction in theology from the Rev. John G. Schwartz. This being unsatisfactory to the Synod, a search was begun for a new site. This house was erected as a faculty dormitory with some classroom space. In 1855 the seminary was moved to Newberry. In 1858, the house was purchased by John Fox of Lexington, county sheriff, clerk of court, and state senator. The Fox House is a two-story frame building with an 11-foot porch across the front fašade. Two dependencies, a kitchen and a housekeepers quarters, are attached to the rear by open breezeways. Three doors open on to the front porch and one to each breezeway. The house has two chimneys, each with four fireplaces. Seven of the eight mantels are original. Each of the two dependencies has its own end chimney. All doors and windows are original. The windows are six-over-nine throughout. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1970. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1970
Reference number
70000893
Architectural style
Other architectural type; German-Swiss Carpenter
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
College; Church school
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1832; 1855
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • January 8, 2021: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources