Old Medical College Building

Also known as: Augusta Garden Center
Telfair and 6th Sts., Augusta, Georgia

Photos 

Old Medical College

1. Historic American Buildings Survey Branan Sanders, Photographer March 1934 FRONT VIEW (NORTHEAST)

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This was the first home of the Medical College of Georgia, founded in 1829 by Milton Anthony, who established the highest possible standards of education and attracted an impressive faculty. The college advocated national standards for medical education a full decade prior to the founding of the American Medical Association. The college, a handsome Greek Revival structure with a monumental Doric portico, was designed by architect Charles Cluskey as a model for medical instruction. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 19, 1996

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 16, 1972
Reference number
72000398
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
College
Current function
Meeting hall
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1834

Update Log 

  • August 3, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources 

Comments 

Old Medical College Building
Posted April 26, 2012, by Andrew Wood (andrewpwood [at] aol [dot] com)

Old Medical College Building

Uploaded file: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, 3425334 bytes