Capitol Hill School

Also known as: Fourth Ward School
603 Washington St., Marshall, Michigan

Photos 

GENERAL VIEW, FROM NORTHEAST (north is front)

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

A mid-19th century, two-room schoolhouse of distinctly vernacular Gothic Revival character. / This is an interesting representative of a small school building type in the mid-19th century, which is virtually in its original state. The basic structure appears sound but the finishes and some wood detail need repair. The building is now used only for storage. / This two-room village schoolhouse, built in 1861, is an attractive representative of a type which has nearly vanished. Except for minor alterations, it remains in its original state. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 16, 1972
Reference number
72000598
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1860

Update Log 

  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources