Deady Hall

University of Oregon campus, Eugene, Oregon

Photos 

University of Oregon, Deady Hall

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Ross, Photographer December, 1951 SOUTHEAST CORNER.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Deady Hall was the first building on the University of Oregon campus. Begun in 1873 and completed in 1876, it was the focus of all university life until the building of Villard Hall in 1886. Its dignified, tall rectangular silhouette with end towers was a conspicuous feature of the comparatively barren early campus; and its simple mansarded Italianate style was a happy choice for an academic building, later echoed in the richer details of Villard Hall. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS OR-53)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1972
Reference number
72001082
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
College
Current function
College
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1873; 1876

Sources