National War College

Also known as: Army War College
P St., within Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

Was established as a central feature of the "New Army," created by President Theodore Roosevelt and Secretary of War Elihu Root. The building is thus a physical manifestation of America's growing perception of itself as a world power at the turn of the century. Served as central educational and coordinating unit in adapting the army forts part in this new world leadership. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS DC-277)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1972
Reference number
72001535
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Area of significance
Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
College
Current function
Fortification
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1907; 1946
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Sources