Zwemer Hall, Northwestern College

101 7th St., SW, Orange, Iowa

Photo 

Zwemer Hall

Photo posted to Wikipedia by user Tlandegent

License: Public domain: Released by author

View this photo at commons.wikimedia.org

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Zwemer Hall, built in 1894, was the first permanent building for the Northwestern Classical Academy. The Academy was established by area Dutch Reformed leaders to prepare students for college and ultimately for ministry in the Reformed Church in America. As the Academy grew, the curriculum expanded to embrace modern subjects such as education and business in addition to classical studies such as Latin. Soon Academy graduates included education and other professionals. http://hcap.artstor.org/cgi-bin/library?a=d&d=p1258

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1975
Reference number
75000698
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
College
Current function
College
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1894

Tags 

19th Century (36,930)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1894 (576)
Built during 1890s (7,375)
George Pass, Sr. (1)
Have Street View (43,328)
Iowa (2,480)
Orange, Iowa (1)
Private owner (54,396)
Romanesque (2,715)
School (4,960)
Sioux County, Iowa (3)
Stone (26,162)
Victorian (19,697)

Update Log 

  • February 13, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • July 28, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King

Sources