Ebenezer Academy

2132 Ebenezer Rd., Rock Hill, South Carolina

Photo 

Ebenezer Academy

Photo taken by Michael Miller on August 3, 2016

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA)

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Located on the grounds of Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, Ebenezer Academy, ca. 1860, is the oldest known school building standing in York County. Part of a trend that established academies throughout the South, Ebenezer is believed to have its origins in the early nineteenth century (ca. 1819). The present structure replaced the earlier structure which had burned. The Presbyterians were particularly active in establishing academies and Ebenezer was one of their schools. Ebenezer offered young men college preparatory courses in the classics and sciences and later enlarged its curriculum to include history, grammar, geography and mathematics. Ebenezer represents a type of institution that flourished in the South during the first half of the nineteenth century and that declined at the end of that century with the growth of public education. When Rock Hill public schools were established ca. 1888, the academy was leased to York County for an elementary school, a use which continued until 1950 when it was deeded back to the church. The Academy is a brick rectangular structure of simple design. The bricks are laid in common bond on a coursed fieldstone foundation. The interior is composed of one large classroom and two smaller rooms. Listed in the National Register August 16, 1977. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 16, 1977
Reference number
77001234
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
1819

Update Log 

  • August 4, 2016: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • October 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 24, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources