Tillman Hall

Also known as: Main Building
Oakland Ave., Winthrop College campus, Rock Hill, South Carolina


Winthrop College, Tillman Building

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress


Street View 


Completed in 1894, Tillman Hall (originally Main Building) has served as the focal point of the Winthrop College campus since the school’s opening session in 1895. Winthrop was the first state-supported college for women in South Carolina. One of the few remaining examples of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture in the state, it is also one of the most outstanding. The firm of Bruce and Morgan from Atlanta designed Tillman Hall and the Thompson Decker Construction Company of Birmingham built the building with labor provided by convicts from the South Carolina State Penitentiary. The building is constructed of red, pressed brick, laid in a bond entirely of stretchers. It is three stories high and includes a basement and attic. The roof is a combination of a gabled and hipped configuration. It is covered with slate and copper with galvanized iron cornices. The building features dramatic semicircular and elliptical arches with radiating voussoirs and keystones, a bracketed belt course, projecting bay windows, a Sullivanesque-style frieze and floral motifs, a native granite foundation, a conical-roofed clock tower with open belfry, and elaborate interior wood and plaster work. In 1962 Main Building was renamed Tillman Hall. Benjamin R. Tillman, Governor and U.S. Senator, was an early advocated of a state-supported college for women. Listed in the National Register December 2, 1977. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1977
Reference number
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Richardsonian Romanesque
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current function
Period of significance
Significant year


19th Century (37,742)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1894 (592)
Built during 1890s (7,628)
Copper (1,058)
Granite (5,090)
Have Street View (46,006)
Owned by state government (3,450)
Rock Hill, South Carolina (24)
School (5,078)
Slate (5,715)
South Carolina (2,146)
Stone (26,160)
York County, South Carolina (70)

Update Log 

  • October 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views"
  • October 29, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller