Campbell Union Grammar School

11 E. Campbell Ave., Campbell, California

Photos 

Campbell Union Grammar School

1. SOUTH FACADE, VIEW TO NORTH NORTHWEST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

An extensive statement of significance is made in the Nomination Form for the National Register of Historic Places concerning this building. A few highlights from that statement: Four school districts combined to form the Campbell Union School District in 1920. In 1921 voters approved a bond issue and the school became the first grammar school built by the new district. William H. Weeks, the architect, although relatively unknown, designed more schools in Northern California during the period 1884-1936 than any other architect. He considered Campbell Grammar School to be one of his best designs. The school has been a focal point for the community since it was built. The auditorium was built larger than necessary for the student body in order to accommodate community meetings. For 24 years between 1922 and 1946 this was the only grammar school in the district. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS CA-2207)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 20, 1979
Reference number
79000544
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Other architectural type; Mediterranean Revival
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1922

Update Log 

  • January 3, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources