Zimmerman School

1336 Pickens St., Columbia, South Carolina


Zimmerman School, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov


Street View 


The Zimmerman House and School are significant for their associations with the Female Academy operated in Columbia by Charles and Hannah Zimmerman between 1848 and 1870. The Zimmermans were German immigrants and apparently built both structures around 1848. Both structures are also significant as examples of well-proportioned Greek Revival design. The Zimmerman School is located directly north of the Zimmerman House. Its main façade faces south, toward the Zimmerman house. The school is a small one-story clapboard building with a gable roof situated at a right angle to the street. The entrance door is situated at the eastern (right) end of the south façade and features a fanlight and sidelights. A slightly projecting wing is located at the very eastern end. Charles and Hannah Zimmerman opened the Zimmerman Female Institute at this site in 1848. Woman at the school took courses in reading, orthography, writing, grammar, arithmetic, geography, history, philosophy, music, English, Latin, French, German and other subjects. After Dr. Zimmerman’s death in 1867, Hannah continued to run the school as “Mrs. Zimmerman’s Female Institution” until her death in 1870. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current function
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1848; 1870

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo