Logan School

815 Elmwood Ave., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Logan School, Right Elevation

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Named for Charles Mercer Logan, who in 1904 gave four acres of land and $40,000 to the City of Columbia to use for a school, Logan School was erected in 1913 and enlarged according to the architect’s original plans in 1915. In 1918, Logan had 925 students, the largest student body of the six Columbia schools. Designed by Wilson and Sompayrac, a Columbia firm, the three-story brick building was described as “Italian Renaissance” in a contemporary account by the architect, Charles C. Wilson. The school represents a good example of a well-built early 20th century institutional building. The symmetrical façade features design motifs from earlier architectural periods. Façade material is red brick ornamented with colored tile. The belt-course, cornice and copings are of limestone. A centrally located main entrance is flaked by limestone three quarter round columns and surmounted by a limestone arch containing the seal of the city in white marble. In plan, classrooms surround two open courtyards with an auditorium between the two. The site of the school is significant, having been part of a larger tract used for the State Fair Grounds from 1859 until 1903. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
79003367
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Italian Renaissance
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
School
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1913; 1915

Update Log 

  • October 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources