New England Conservatory of Music

290 Huntington Ave., Boston, Massachusetts

Map 

Street View 

Description 

From its founding in 1867 by Eben Tourjee, New England Conservatory of Music has been a preeminent institution in the field of music education not only for the City of Boston, but for the Nation and often on the international scene. Its concert hall, Jordan Hall, completed in 1903, has long been regarded as one of the world's top concert halls for its superb acoustical qualities. The institution began as a independent music school and has remained so to this day. It was patterned on the European method of teaching applied music to small groups or classes, with each student being allotted a fraction of available lesson time. Among those associated with this institution is George Whitefield Chadwick, an internationally recognized composer, who served as director from 1897 to 1933. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 19, 1994

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 14, 1980
Reference number
80000672
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Education; Performing Arts; Architecture
Levels of significance
National; State
Evaluation criteria
B - Person; A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Music facility; School
Current functions
School; Music facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant years
1903; 1928; 1951

Update Log 

  • January 31, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources