Maitland Art Center

Also known as: The Research Center
231 W. Packwood Ave., Maitland, Florida

Photos 

Photo taken by John Reidy in August 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Maitland Art Center, a compound of fourteen one-story stucco and concrete block buildings, serves the community as a public gallery and educational facility. Begun in 1937 as a workshop/gallery called The Research Center, the buildings were designed and built by Andre Smith, architect, painter, and sculptor in a stylized Aztec-Mayan motif. It was conceived as an artists' village where room and board were provided for guest artists supported by a non-profit corporation established by Mary Curtis Bok Zimbalist. The integration of bas-relief sculpture, murals, and buildings provide a significant contribution to America's architectural heritage. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 17, 1982
Reference number
82001036
Architectural style
Modern Movement
Areas of significance
Art; Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; School
Current functions
Museum; Work of art (sculpture, carving, rock art); School
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1937
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 6

Update Log 

  • August 31, 2010: New photos from John Reidy

Sources