Old Batesburg-Leesville High School

Demolished
Also known as: Old Batesburg-Leesville Middle School, Batesburg-Leesville Lifelong Learning Center
101 W. Columbia Avenue, Batesburg-Leesville, SC

Photo 

Old Batesburg-Leesville High School

Old Batesburg-Leesville High School, Facade

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Constructed in 1921, this two story red brick building is representative of public school architecture of the day. The architect for the high school was Jesse Wessinger of West Columbia. The composition and the main entrance show the influence of the Tudor Gothic Revival. The building rises from a raised basement to a low parapet roof banded in concrete. Flanking pavilions, with single vertical windows piercing each main floor, enframe a central block, punctuated by repetitive vertical windows of horizontal, moveable sash. A concrete entablature surmounts a Tudor arched entranceway leading to double front doors. Decorative elements include a lower concrete beltcourse and projecting cornice. An applied school emblem in concrete accents the central parapet. Additional applied panels appear on each side of the pavilion facades. Construction of the Batesburg-Leesville High School represented the first cooperative venture between the two towns. Significantly, the building was placed in the center of the 500 yard “no man’s land” unincorporated area separating the two municipalities. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 6, 1982
Reference number
82003893
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival
Areas of significance
Education; Politics/Government
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
School
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1920

Update Log 

  • October 30, 2018: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "Status" and Added "Year Lost"
  • September 25, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" & "Address" and Imported Photo
  • September 25, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources