Poynor Junior High School

Also known as: Central Graded School, Florence Junior High School
301 S. Dargan St., Florence, South Carolina

Photo 

Poynor Junior High School, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Poynor Junior High School is a two-story brick Georgian Revival school building constructed in 1906-1908. J.F. Ong of Columbia, South Carolina constructed the building according to plans by W.J. Wilkins, who revised original plans by Charles Coker Wilson. The school features a central tetrastyle colossal Ionic portico. The main block of the building has six bays on either side of the portico with four-bay pavilions at each end of the main block. The building has a full brick basement and a stepped parapet above the Ionic entablature that is carried around the entire building. The brickwork is common bond with every sixth course bonding. The mortar is colored red. The pedimented portico has four unfluted Ionic columns and two pilaster responds with Attic bases and Scamozzi capitals. The columns are built of stuccoed brick. Poynor Junior High School has been significant in the lives of Florence citizens as a center of community activity throughout its career. In 1910, a banquet for President William Howard Taft was held at the school. The buildings, grounds, and auditorium were in high demand for recitals, concerts, meetings, lectures, tournaments, fundraisers, and extracurricular classes. Listed in the National Register May 19, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 19, 1983
Reference number
83002194
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
School
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1906; 1908

Update Log 

  • September 5, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 5, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources