Beehive School

Demolished
4345 Lee Rd., Cleveland, Ohio

Photos 

WEST FRONT, LOOKING NORTHEAST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Beehive School symbolizes the consolidation of American education systems, as well as transitions in society, as the process of urbanization took place. Of the 166 school buildings operated by the Cleveland Board of Education at the height of its school system, Beehive is the only one which was originally constructed as a township school, subsequently enlarged as a municipal school by an integrated suburban village, and finally annexed by a large urban school system along with the village. The school is thus a rare survivor of an important trend in American educational history: consolidation of school districts from rural to community to metropolitan. Of the dozen or so school building which were acquired by the Cleveland school system as the city annexed smaller communities, the others have all been replaced by more modern structures. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 5, 1984
Reference number
84002910
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1916; 1925; 1931

Tags 

20th Century (29,077)
A.W. Rust, Co. (1)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1916 (718)
Built during 1910s (8,328)
Cleveland, Ohio (229)
Cuyahoga County, Ohio (384)
Fulton & Taylor (1)
Have Street View (36,122)
Ohio (5,072)
Private owner (54,396)
Sandstone (4,862)
School (4,875)

Update Log 

  • May 17, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources