Central High School

Also known as: High School of Columbus, High School of Commerce
75 S. Washington Blvd., Columbus, Ohio

Former high school now part of the Center of Science and Industry

Photos 

Central H.S.

www.centralpirates.com

View this photo at centralpirates.com

Map 

Description 

Central High School, also known as High School of Columbus and High School of Commerce, was a four-year secondary school located in Columbus, Ohio. The last building was located at 75 South Washington Boulevard and opened in 1924. Prior to that, Central High School was located Downtown at East Broad and Sixth streets from 1862 until 1924.

The school building operated on South Washington Boulevard closed in June 1982. In 1999, the school's historic fašade was incorporated into COSI, a science center designed by renowned architect Arata Isozaki. On March 7, 1985, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 7, 1985
Reference number
85000484
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1924

Update Log 

  • November 22, 2017: Photo imported by Brian Manville

Sources