Philipsburg Grade School

W of Schnepel St., Philipsburg, Montana

Map 

Description 

"This magnificent Classical Revival school building originally served both elementary and secondary students. Financed by a $30,000 bond, it was dedicated in 1896 just three years after Philipsburg became the seat of Granite County. Two hundred students attended the first year. The prominent architectural firm of Bell and Kent designed the school; their work also includes the original Montana state capitol. The four-story square tower with its large, arched granite entrance dominates the brick and granite building. The Classical Revival style can also be seen in the roof’s closed gabled ends, which form triangular pediments decorated with modillions and circular windows. After a new Philipsburg high school was constructed in 1912, this school housed only elementary classes. Fifteen years later, four additional classrooms and a gymnasium were added to the rear." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 3, 1986
Reference number
86002789
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
School
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1896

Update Log 

  • August 5, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information

Sources