Academy of the Sacred Heart

Also known as: Grosse Pointe Academy
171 Lake Shore Dr., Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Grosse Pointe Academy

Owned by the Religious of the Sacred Heart from 1867-1969, this site is now an independent school. The narrow shape of the property reflects its original use as a French "ribbon farm" extending inland from Lake St. Clair. Situated at the Grosse Pointe Academy are an 1868 structure initially used as a public school for village children; the present Academy building erected in 1929; and a place of worship modeled after a French convent chapel. Each of these edifices is still in use.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 25, 1987
Reference number
87001061
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival; Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
School; Educational related housing
Current functions
School; Educational related housing
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1885; 1899; 1928
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 12, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 27, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources