Long Creek Academy

Academy Road and Spider Valley Road, Long Creek, South Carolina

Historic school north of Walhalla, SC

Photos 

Long Creek Academy now Wildwater Chattooga Adventure Center

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

Long Creek Academy opened in 1914 and operated until 1956, and trained dozens of Baptist ministers and hundreds of lay persons. Long Creek Academy was organized by the Beaverdam Baptist Association to educate in a Christian manner the boys and girls of the northwestern rural area of South Carolina’s mountain section. It was originally part of a system of mountain mission schools overseen by the Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. The school operated as a private corporation headed by Luther Henry Raines after 1931 when the Baptists withdrew from the academy business. The Main Building and Sullivan Building, both large two-story frame buildings, were the first two school structures to be built, in 1914 and 1917 respectively, and remain much as they originally appeared. The Main Building was built as a combination school and girls dormitory. It is L-shaped, has two stories and an attic, and is of wood frame construction with weatherboard siding on the first story and wood shingles on the second. The foundation of river rock mixed with concrete has been stuccoed and scored to resemble cut stone. The building features a gable-roofed portico sheltering the three central bays of the seven bay front elevation. The four Doric columns supporting the portico are stucco-faced brick. The gable end of the portico contains a semi-circular fanlight. The Sullivan Building is a two-story, L-shaped, wood frame structure with a hip roof and a basement. It is sheathed in unpainted weatherboarding and has a concrete and river rock foundation. There are eight brick chimneys. The interior contains twenty-four rooms. Listed in the National Register November 20, 1987. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1987
Reference number
87002059
Areas of significance
Education; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
School; Educational related housing
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1914; 1917
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • November 8, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview", Updated "GPS Coordinates" & "Address"

Sources