St. Benedict's Catholic School

Also known as: Musselshell Valley Historical Museum
524 First St., W, Roundup, Montana

Photos 

St Benedict's Catholic School

View from the northwest

Photo taken by David Jones in April 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"St. Benedict’s Catholic School was erected in 1920-1921, just as Roundup’s early prosperity peaked. Father Hennessy (1914-1929) and his flock worked diligently to create the school, with twenty church members loaning $500 each to the Diocese of Great Falls for construction. St. Benedict’s, designed by Roundup architect John H. Grant—who created many commercial and residential buildings here between 1910 and 1922—has a classic early-twentieth-century school design. The school served the community of European Catholic immigrants who came to Roundup after the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad established coal mines here in 1907-1908. From many nations, these immigrants found their ethnic identities melting away in American society, but through the church they preserved an important part of their heritage. When this school opened, Ursuline Sisters were in charge of 123 students in eight grades, housed in four classrooms. The Sisters lived in the building’s basement, as did boarding students from rural homes. The school closed in 1950." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 21, 1988
Reference number
88001120
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1921

Update Log 

  • February 5, 2020: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • July 24, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • November 8, 2018: New photos from David Jones

Sources