Clemson College Sheep Barn

S. Palmetto Blvd., Clemson University campus, Clemson, South Carolina

Historic Agricultural Building on the campus of Clemson University

Photo 

Clemson College Sheep Barn

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Clemson College Sheep Barn, built c. 1915, is significant as the earliest extant and relatively intact building associated with Clemson University’s early Agricultural Department. The building’s principal section was constructed of clay brick, laid in English bond, which was probably handmade at the brick plant nearby and matches the brick of the University’s Trustee House and Kinnard Annex. It is similar in style and form to a dairy barn, the first barn on campus, which burned, was rebuilt, and later altered. The sheep barn is a single, rectangular block approximately two stories in height with a gabled, standing seam metal sheathed roof supported by simple brackets on each gable end. The roof is surmounted by three square vented cupolas, capped by pyramidal roofs with similar sheathing and ball finials. Listed in the National Register January 4, 1990. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990
Reference number
89002140
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
College; Music facility
Current function
Auditorium
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
ca. 1915

Update Log 

  • October 3, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • December 20, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources