Potomac School

220 Potomac Rd., Potomac, Montana

Photos 

Potomac School

View from the south west

Photo taken by David Jones in June 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"At the onset of the twentieth century, the community of Potomac evolved from a small mining and ranching outpost to an established logging and agricultural town. Population growth in the first decade of the new century triggered a need for improved educational facilities. In July of 1912, the trustees of Potomac School District #11 voted to establish a local high school. Taxpayers voted fifty-six to four in favor of bonding $10,000 to finance its construction, and the Missoula husband-and wife architectural team of John and Josephine Kennedy supplied blueprints for the substantial four-room building. Their design features a central belltower, typical of period schoolhouse architecture, but innovatively incorporates wide eaves, a hipped roof, multiple window groupings, and banded brick fašades characteristic of the then-fashionable Craftsman style. By the fall of 1913, the completed and well-equipped building included twenty large desks, newly purchased at four dollars each. Two secondary and three primary teachers managed fifty-two students ranging from grades 1 to 12. Zoology, Latin, German, and bookkeeping were among the courses offered by the accredited high school program. Today, as generations of graduates fondly remember the Potomac School, it continues to serve as an anchor to the community and a doorway to the future for its children." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 30, 1992
Reference number
92000244
Architectural style
American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
School
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1913
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • August 5, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • November 10, 2018: New photos from David Jones

Sources