Seaside School

Also known as: Seaside Colored School
1097 SC 174, Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Seaside School, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Seaside School is historically significant for its association with the education of black Edistoians from the late-nineteenth to the mid-twentieth century. At least one and sometimes two school buildings have been located on its site for over one hundred years, perhaps since 1865. The present structure, built ca. 1931, is architecturally significant as an example of a schoolhouse used by rural black South Carolinians into the 1950s. The school is a two-room frame building typical of those built throughout rural South Carolina from ca. 1910 until ca.1940. The rectangular building is one-story, on a low brick pier foundation, with a lateral gable roof of V-crimped metal and weatherboard exterior siding. Rafter ends are exposed at the main body and at the small shed porch protecting the paired entry doors. One original five-panel door remains. The school has been vacant since 1954, except for brief periods of residential tenant occupancy. Seaside School is said by many of the older residents of Edisto Island, black and white, to be the oldest black school on the island, and is one of only three remaining historic schools on Edisto Island, of at least eight that have been documented on the island in the twentieth century. Listed in the National Register June 17, 1994. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 17, 1994
Reference number
94000602
Areas of significance
Education; Ethnic Heritage - Black
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1931
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources