Siloam School

1331 Congaree Rd., Eastover, South Carolina

Photo 

Siloam School, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built ca. 1936 as a rural African American school, Siloam School is significant as a property associated with the general development of South Carolina public education for African Americans from ca. 1895 to 1954. It is an example of the type of rural school building approved by the State Board of Education in the early- to mid-twentieth century built to provide “separate but equal” facilities for white and black schoolchildren. It is a one-story, two-room building standing on brick piers and clad in shiplap weatherboard. The gable end building has a metal roof and has two interior brick flues. It has a recessed porch supported by square wooden posts. The school has a small one-story addition on the southern elevation. The school was built on land owned by John P. Prince, who sold the one-acre lot to Richland County School District 7 in 1920. The present building, constructed with funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), was built to replace a previous school nearby called Beulah School. It operated as a school until 1956, when it closed and was acquired by Siloam Baptist Church, which now maintains it. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1996. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1996
Reference number
96000382
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Early 20th C. Rural School
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1936

Update Log 

  • October 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • October 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources