St. Phillip School

4350 McCords Ferry Rd., Eastover, South Carolina

Photo 

St. Phillip School, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

St. Phillip School was built in 1938 as a rural African American school. It is significant as a property associated with the general development of South Carolina public education for blacks from ca. 1895 to 1954, and as an example of type of rural school building approved by the State Board of Education in the early- to mid-twentieth century to provide “separate but equal” facilities for white and black schoolchildren. It is a one-story, three room school clad in shiplap weatherboard and standing on brick piers. The building has a standing seam metal roof and three brick flues. Two flanking wings each contain a small room and an entrance protected by an extended porch roof supported by brick pillars. The school takes its name from St. Phillip African Methodist Episcopal Church, which stands directly across McCords Ferry Road from the school. The first school building was constructed next to St. Phillip Church in 1915 and stood until 1929. The present building was built shortly after the four-acre lot was purchased by Richland County School District 9. By 1939, St. Phillip School was a three-teacher school valued at $4,500. The school closed in 1959. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1996. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 19, 1996
Reference number
96000383
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Early 20th C. Rural School
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
School
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
ca. 1938
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 20, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources