College of Medicine of Maryland

Also known as: Davidge Hall
522 West Lombard St., Baltimore, Maryland



The College of Medicine of Maryland, constructed in 1812, is a handsome neoclassical structure fronted by a Doric portico nad covered with a saucer dome. It is the oldest medical school building in continuous use in the United States, and contains the nation's oldest anatomical theater where students could watch operations performed by the faculty. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, September 25, 1997

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 25, 1997
Reference number
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Economics; Health/Medicine
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current functions
College; Museum
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1812; 1814
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 1