La Crosse State Teachers College Training School Building

Also known as: Campus School, Thomas Morris Hall
1615 State St., LaCrosse, Wisconsin

Photos 

South Elevation

The building takes its name for Thomas Morris, a La Crosse lawyer who was instrumental in having the state fund a normal school in La Crosse.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in June 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Part of the La Crosse Normal School (established in 1909) this building was added in 1939 to train teachers and also served as an elementary school to act as both a school and laboratory for training teachers and developing curriculum. While its purpose has changed over the years and some departments have moved to other facilities, much of the building remains the same as it was constructed. For example, the library has moved but the room is used for teaching. An original small theater is still in use. The only significant addition is a penthouse added in the mid 1990s to house mechanical equipment.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 15, 1999
Reference number
99000850
NR name
LaCrosse State Teachers College Training School Building
Areas of significance
Education; Politics/Government
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
College
Current function
College
Period of significance
1925-1949

Update Log 

  • July 16, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources